Monday, October 5, 2015

Little Pot of Horrors



My kitchen looked like something out of a slasher film over the week or even a brew for an evil magic potion. Everywhere you looked; bones, little feet, and big feet OH MY! I made a delicious (if I do say so myself) bone broth from of materials; pig feet, beef marrow bones and chicken feet (for extra gelatin). I have made bone broth before but I must say this is the best broth I have made in a long, long time! I will tell you it took FOREVER! 24 hours to be exact, but like it says in the good book, “good things come to those who wait”. Broth or stock  is delicious and since it’s about to get a little cooler outside, soup is going to be a must! So why make broth? I made my broth for 4 reasons:
1.       It’s healthier – most commercial broths while delicious contain health harming ingredients the main one that I’ve seen is MSG or mono sodium glutamate which is known to cause a variety of health issues including hormone imbalances, headaches and gastro-intestinal problems. While bone broth reduces inflammation, helps digestions and can even make skin deliciously supple.

2.       It’s tastier – most commercial broths in my humble opinion are bland and don’t really seem to help when it comes to seasoning food. Bone broth is full of flavor and nutrients.

3.       It’s more eco-friendly – in my humble opinion commercial broths aren’t as eco-friendly because it comes in a container (sometimes paper, sometimes plastic) that can really suck if you are trying to limit your household waste. With bone broth you can take a re-usable container to your local butcher and ask for the bone to be placed in the container and no waste is created.

4.       It’s honorable – as a person who eats animal protein it is very important to me that the animal had a good life was never abused and was fed good foods (and no hormones). With all that goes into raising an animal that will ultimately be sacrificed for me to live. I feel that is only right to honor the animal by making sure that none of it goes to waste or like my parents to say “from the rooter to the tooter”.

So should you make broth? YES!  



No comments:

Post a Comment